Page 1 of 1

Metadata incorrect on car's Head Unit with Pixel 3 XL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 pm
by jharveytx
Help me folks,

First off, forgive me if this sounds like a repost of this problem. I found several of those on this site, but none of them had answers, and most were fairly old.

I've been using Subsonic for years (I freakin' love it!). I drive a 2013 MINI with the "MINI Connected" package - which is basically a console monitor without navigation.

The monitor displays song information (MP3 tags) for the currently playing track. I also have volume and NEXT> / PREVIOUS< buttons on the steering wheel.

All of this worked great together UNTIL I purchased a Google PIXEL 3 XL. The phone is awesome, but for some reason does not display the metadata (song info) correctly.

Instead of

{Song Title}

it displays

{Song Title}
{Song Title}

It also no longer displays a {song duration} bar.

This seems to be a Subsonic problem specifically - Google Music, Pandora, and Amazon music all display correctly. Even TuneIn Radio displays right.

I've tried everything. I spent @ 1.5 hours on the phone with Google support making every change possible with no luck.

I've used every available AVRCP setting I have (1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6), and even tried tricking it into working by starting Google Music and then switching to the app.
I also tried every variation of deleting the phone from my car and my car from my phone, as well as doing hard re-boots of the phone or simple restarts.

Out of desperation, I actually wiped the phone completely and started from scratch. No joy.

I'm using DSub, but have the same results using the Subsonic app.

I even changed a battery setting that is supposed to help make the battery last longer.

Just to rub it in, the steering wheel buttons occasionally stop working.

The worst part - Every now and then it displays correctly. But only for a second.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for listening.

-- john e. harvey

Re: Metadata incorrect on car's Head Unit with Pixel 3 XL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:26 pm
by jharveytx
Hey guys, I need to update this --

I was wrong when I blamed Subsonic itself for the display issues. I did a few more tests with other streamers and they were inconclusive. However, when I repeated my tests with the standard Subsonic App, the track information does display correctly - with one exception: there is no time duration bar.

So, this question may need to be moved to the DSub forum.

More information - I tried the Substreamer app and NO Metadata was displayed on the monitor.
I also tried Ultrasonic - it never connected to any server I tried.

Re: Metadata incorrect on car's Head Unit with Pixel 3 XL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:45 pm
by markusschloesser
Had the same problem, interestingly it was fixed with February pixel update

Re: Metadata incorrect on car's Head Unit with Pixel 3 XL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 pm
by jharveytx
I was just getting on to say the same, markusschloesser.

The latest update to my phone fixed this issue. I no longer have any problems with the display of metadata on my 2013 MINI Roadster.