New Verizon Fios Router

Need help? Post your questions here.

Moderator: moderators

New Verizon Fios Router

Postby tmwsiy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:52 pm

"upgraded" to new Verizon "Home Router" from their Quantum router.
Seems as though port forwarding is not working properly and can't work from home network.
I set port open rule, or try UPNP, and the port opens UNTIL I try to access from home and then it closes again.

Any ideas on how I can use this router successfully with Subsonic?
tmwsiy

Re: New Verizon Fios Router

Postby 3Dscrewer » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:14 am

Hi, I have an, so said, best and expansive router for germany AVM 7590. It is known as a very secure device, but the automatic port forwarding thru subsonic don't work proper, or better not at all ...

So ... you didn't say how you are connecting to your router, wireless or by cable. Also you didn't tell us what OS you are using.

common steps are, give your subsonic server a static IP and forward that IP and needed port inside your router.
I have read the manual of your router, but there is not so much information about that part, there are only warnings to alter the settings if you don't know what you are doing ....
3Dscrewer

Postby tmwsiy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:47 am

3Dscrewer wrote:Hi, I have an, so said, best and expansive router for germany AVM 7590. It is known as a very secure device, but the automatic port forwarding thru subsonic don't work proper, or better not at all ...

So ... you didn't say how you are connecting to your router, wireless or by cable. Also you didn't tell us what OS you are using.

common steps are, give your subsonic server a static IP and forward that IP and needed port inside your router.
I have read the manual of your router, but there is not so much information about that part, there are only warnings to alter the settings if you don't know what you are doing ....

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! Yes, I did what you suggested but still did not work. BUT I happened to open my Android App when I was outside my home network forgetting that my Server was offline. And it worked! And all my users said it was working fine. So I was thrilled that the problem just resolved somehow.

BUT, when I got hope, the port closed again and I was not able to stream and my users also could not access.

After an exhausting series of calls to Verizon, I was able to determine that the port forwarding on their newest and most expensive browser DOES NOT WORK when you are on the same network. And there is no work around.

I switched to Netgear Orbi mesh Wifi router system and everything is working fine again. The Verizon tech told me that the port forwarding situation was a "new feature" of the router. I screamed to him, "THAT IS NOT A FEATURE, THAT IS A BUG!" Thankfully, I was able to return that piece of crap and didn't cost me anything more than a couple days of frustration. But in so researching the issue, I see others had same problem with security cameras, Plex servers and other such things.

The only odd thing for me now, is that my Subsonic URL, parker.subsonic.org still does not work on my own network. I can use a domain I created that points to it, my DYNDns address, or my IP address, but the name server just doesn't work. And that was the same case too when I went back to the very exact same router I was using before attempting the upgrade. I didn't change any settings or anything: just plugged it back in and for some reason, the name server just will not work. It is not a big deal of course because I can access it several other ways but I'd sure like to know why that isn't working now out of curiosity.
tmwsiy

Postby acroyear » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:48 pm

I realized that with port forwarding and other SSL proxy layers I use (I have a unix box with apache handling my certs so i don't need to go through the living hell that is trying to get a cert into a java server), the .subsonic.org address just is never going to work right, so I gave up on that. Instead I added a dyndns service.
--
Joe Shelby
http://subfiresuite.com/
http://subfireplayer.net/
acroyear

Return to Help