"Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Need help? Post your questions here.

Moderator: moderators

"Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Postby narsins » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi, I recently upgraded subsonic server from version 4.0.1 to version 4.4.

When I tried to play music on android app, I have the error above.
"Didn't understand the reply. Please check the server address."

This seems like the app does not have an access to server.
But the weird thing is that this happens for specific folders, and
the server works fine on the web.

I have tested different versions.
4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4.

From 4.2, I have the same issue.
Currently, I downgraded back to 4.0.1 because this one works best.
4.1 does not load album covers as 4.0.1 does.

If anyone knows about this issue and how to resolve it,
please let me know.
narsins
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Postby donpearson » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Moved to help.
Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/subsonic.group/

Image
donpearson
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:53 pm
Location: UK

Re: "Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Postby GJ51 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:22 am

narsins wrote:Hi, I recently upgraded subsonic server from version 4.0.1 to version 4.4.

When I tried to play music on android app, I have the error above.
"Didn't understand the reply. Please check the server address."

This seems like the app does not have an access to server.
But the weird thing is that this happens for specific folders, and
the server works fine on the web.

I have tested different versions.
4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4.

From 4.2, I have the same issue.
Currently, I downgraded back to 4.0.1 because this one works best.
4.1 does not load album covers as 4.0.1 does.

If anyone knows about this issue and how to resolve it,
please let me know.


Provide details. What OS? What Android phone and Andropid version?
Gary J

http://bios-mods.com
http://www.maplegrovepartners.com
http://theaverageguy.tv/category/tagpodcasts/cyberfrontiers/
User avatar
GJ51
 
Posts: 3492
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:58 pm
Location: Western New York

Postby disgustipated » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 am

since you say you get this on specific folders, i am curious as to what the full path in windows or linux is to these folders. the path might have some invalid characters in it.
disgustipated
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Location: US

Re: "Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Postby narsins » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:26 pm

GJ51 wrote:
Provide details. What OS? What Android phone and Andropid version?


Windows 7 x64, Galaxy S Vibrant, Custom rom(Axura) Android 2.2


disgustipated wrote:since you say you get this on specific folders, i am curious as to what the full path in windows or linux is to these folders. the path might have some invalid characters in it.


Yes, that's very weird.

The file path is like E:\Music\Korean Pop.
I got an error when I tried to open this folder, but when I tried to open E:\Music\Foreign Pop, this works.

Of course, under Korean Pop folder, there are many subfolders names in Korean and English characters. But this should matter because other folders with Korean and English characters had no problem. I couldn't understand this inconsistency.
narsins
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Postby GJ51 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:46 pm

The only problem I can think of that may be relevant is the possibility that your folder structure may be too complex and the total path name too long. In Windows the total Path/filename should not exceed 255 characters. I've seen this be an issue before, but it's not clear from the details you've provided if that applies in your case.
Gary J

http://bios-mods.com
http://www.maplegrovepartners.com
http://theaverageguy.tv/category/tagpodcasts/cyberfrontiers/
User avatar
GJ51
 
Posts: 3492
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:58 pm
Location: Western New York

Postby narsins » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:23 pm

GJ51 wrote:The only problem I can think of that may be relevant is the possibility that your folder structure may be too complex and the total path name too long. In Windows the total Path/filename should not exceed 255 characters. I've seen this be an issue before, but it's not clear from the details you've provided if that applies in your case.


Thanks for the input.
I didn't know that there is a limit in Windows. Good to know.
But if that was a problem, 4.0.1 or 4.1 shouldn't work, either.
I think there is some change from 4.1 to 4.2 that caused me this issue.

Still, I don't know what kind of detail to provide.
The error message seems vague to me.
According to the message, I feel like there is some access problem.

I hope a developer explain what this error means.
narsins
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Postby Morkeleb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:54 pm

I once got this error message too, after i stopped the server manually from server and tried to start it there again.

I had to start the service tool in the tray to slove the problem.

But that may not have to do with your problem.
Morkeleb
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: "Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Postby fdemmer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:37 am

similar issues are observed when doing searches on android, that work in the browser.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6732
fdemmer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:25 am

Re: "Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Postby lhong1987 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Solution to my "Didn't understand the reply" error:
Check the special characters of all files within the directory you are try to access/search.
If the subsonic cannot process the special characters, it cannot "understand" the reply sent from the server side.

My list had a star(★) in one of filenames. Once I deleted the star from the file, it doesn't say anything about not understanding the reply.

I assume "Korean Pop" folder had a lot of song names with special characters.
lhong1987
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:52 am

Re: "Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Postby andu_ » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Another thing to check is your Java version. I was getting a similar message after I upgraded to 1.7, which Subsonic has issues with currently. Rolled my Java back to 1.6 and everything is working again.
andu_
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: "Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Postby bushidoka » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:34 pm

First of all .. the colour of the periscope is somewhat difficult to discern for someone who is colourblind.

Just sayin ...

I'm having this same issue on my Samsung Galaxy S3, which is pretty much the only place I have a client to try ... so I don't know yet whether the server works. All my MP3s loaded fine.

If it really is an issue with funny characters as per above I do have a bunch of German music with "funny characters", but given that this was written by a Norwegian I'm hoping this really cannot be the case. Given that they have "funny characters" too.

How do I go about debugging this?
bushidoka
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: "Didn't understand the reply." error issue.

Postby bushidoka » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:11 am

What protocol does the client <-> server connection use and what port numbers?
bushidoka
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 pm


Return to Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 16 guests