Java 1.7 Incompatibility

Need help? Post your questions here.

Moderator: moderators

Java 1.7 Incompatibility

Postby BKKKPewsey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Please be aware that subsonic is not currently compatible with Java 1.7.
Sindre is aware of the problem and hopefully it will be resolved on the next update.
So if you wish to continue using SS without problems tell the nice folks at Sun to go away for awhile :D

EDIT: For further info on the problem see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9720&hilit=sun+java#p42249
(Thanks to hakko :) )
But the upshot is (I believe) that if java/SS finds a problem with something in the one of your tags it used to just go "tut tut!!"
and carry on as usual - now it throws up an error :(
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, Image but some abuse the privilege!

Due to the confusion from too many genres of music, we have decided to put both country music and rap music into the genre of Crap music.
BKKKPewsey

Re: Java 1.7 Incompatibility

Postby pioneersohpioneers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I was just wondering why my phone wouldn't connect. I figured this'd be the right place to check for problems, and it was!
nickgw.subsonic.net
pioneersohpioneers

Postby OlYeller21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 am

I'm not a software expert by any means but I updated Java and get an error when I open the web UI but after the error is closed, Subsonic seems to work perfectly fine for people on and off my home network. iSub works without a hitch, too. Not sure if that information is useful but I thought I should mention it.
OlYeller21

Postby pemholder » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 pm

BKKKPewsey wrote:Please be aware that subsonic is not currently compatible with Java 1.7.
Sindre is aware of the problem and hopefully it will be resolved on the next update.
So if you wish to continue using SS without problems tell the nice folks at Sun to go away for awhile :D

Is this relevant for the server and the clients or only for the server?
pemholder

Postby OlYeller21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:57 pm

pemholder wrote:Is this relevant for the server and the clients or only for the server?

In my experience, this only seems to be relevant for Android Subsonic users connecting to a server using Java 1.7.
OlYeller21

Postby Excessive » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 am

Yes, I have a Java problem too. I just downloaded version 4.6 a few days ago and I really like it, though there seems to be a Java problem.
I wasn't running Java on my machine when I installed subsonic. So the installer downloaded and installed Java 6 first and then installed subsonic. Everything worked for a while as I was getting to know it, but when Java updated to update 31 then subsonic wouldn't work anymore. Neither the server nor the webpage and when trying to open the server it said that it couldn't find JVM and to point it to the destination folder.
So yes ........you have to uninstall all of Java via control panel and uninstall subsonic from the start menu. Leave the subsonic folder at c:\subsonic if you want to reinstall again and keep all the users and settings or delete this folder if you want to do a clean fresh install.
Note that you will need to start from the subsonic installer and allow it to install Java 6 from the beginning and just do not allow it to update Java., then it will run. It's no good installing the latest version of Java *first* and then installing subsonic though.
Excessive

Postby BKKKPewsey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Java 6.31 doesn't have a problem as far as I am aware - my server is running that with np.
:mrgreen:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, Image but some abuse the privilege!

Due to the confusion from too many genres of music, we have decided to put both country music and rap music into the genre of Crap music.
BKKKPewsey

Postby GJ51 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:45 am

6.31 is OK with music and video on the desktop, but it crashed one of my servers trying to play video on Andriod app.

Still investigatimg to see if that's the cause.
Gary J

http://bios-mods.com
http://www.maplegrovepartners.com
http://theaverageguy.tv/category/tagpodcasts/cyberfrontiers/
GJ51

Postby HanlonsRazor » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:09 pm

BKKKPewsey wrote:Please be aware that subsonic is not currently compatible with Java 1.7.

I appreciate the intent, but could you add a few details?
  • What do you mean by "currently"? What version of subsonic? 4.6? 4.6beta2? Someone finding this post next year might have an even harder time figuring that out.
  • What do you mean by "compatible"? I'm using it on Ubuntu 12.04, with Sun's Java 7, and web clients & Android apps seem to be working for me - is there some specific behavior that fails?
  • What do you mean by Java 1.7? Sun's Java 7? Or the openjdk implementation? Or both?
  • Does this impact all platforms? Or just one (e.g. Windows)?
  • Does this impact all types of installs? Or just installs as a service, or deployed .war files in an app server?

I've just been trying (uncessfully) for the last 12 hours to get jukebox mode working on an Ubuntu 12.04 box, using Sun's Java 7 and a .war file deployed in tomcat6... and maybe I should switch JVMs (again! :( ), or maybe my problem is unrelated, but I need more info to know. Any details you can provide would be much appreciated.
HanlonsRazor

Postby GJ51 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:13 pm

All current versions of Subsonic are incompatible with version 7 of java. We do not know for sure yet if Subsonic ver. 4.7 will work with the next java version. Current Java 6.31 works with all Subsonic versions as far as I can tell.
Gary J

GJ51

Postby parabola » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:08 pm

GJ51 wrote:All current versions of Subsonic are incompatible with version 7 of java. We do not know for sure yet if Subsonic ver. 4.7 will work with the next java version. Current Java 6.31 works with all Subsonic versions as far as I can tell.

I'm not having any problems with openJDK 1.7, mobile apps and all work

Version 4.6 (build 2583) – December 6, 2011
Server jetty-6.1.x, java 1.7.0, FreeBSD (96.8 MB / 239.8 MB)
parabola

Postby Excessive » Tue May 08, 2012 4:45 am

Well ........... yes, everything is ok if I install Java first and then SS. Though in my case with win7 64 bit I have to install both versions of java, 32 bit and 64 bit.
Excessive

Postby gurutech » Fri May 11, 2012 9:39 pm

There should be a 3.8 (or is it 3.0.8?) update to iSub coming in the next week or two - I submitted a crash report, and they got back to me mentioning the update, which should fix the issue I was having (freezing and crashing if signal lost).

I don't have Java 1.7 installed on my Linux machine (SS host), but I do have it on my workstation computer (the one I'm on now). The only thing I am seeing is "skipping", almost like radio static when playing music. I don't see it in iSub though, probably due to caching, which as far as I can tell, doesn't happen with the browser version.
gurutech

Postby ataris_kid » Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm

For what it's worth, Subsonic 4.5 and the latest version of the official Android app seem to work for me with Java 7u2 on CentOS 6.2.

java version "1.7.0_02"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_02-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.0-b10, mixed mode)

If I upgrade to Subsonic 4.6, however, I experience an issue that causes songs (via the Android app) to be prematurely "chopped off" near the end. Downgrading to 6u32 and I'll see if it still happens. I originally assumed it was an issue with Subsonic 4.6, but it could very well be Java 7.
ataris_kid

Postby GJ51 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 pm

ataris_kid wrote:For what it's worth, Subsonic 4.5 and the latest version of the official Android app seem to work for me with Java 7u2 on CentOS 6.2.

java version "1.7.0_02"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_02-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.0-b10, mixed mode)

If I upgrade to Subsonic 4.6, however, I experience an issue that causes songs (via the Android app) to be prematurely "chopped off" near the end. Downgrading to 6u32 and I'll see if it still happens. I originally assumed it was an issue with Subsonic 4.6, but it could very well be Java 7.

We're pretty sure that the "chopped off" problem is a ver. 4.6 issue that is supposed to be fixed in 4.7. I don't think it's a Java issue.
Gary J

GJ51

Next

Return to Help