Option for admin to completely disable chat

Got an idea? Missing something? Post your feature request here.

Moderator: moderators

Option for admin to completely disable chat

Postby jigsaw » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:21 pm

I've read quite a few posts from people who might not want a chat-function embedded in their Subsonic. The option to disable chat which was added in 3.8 only allows single users to hide it from their view.

I propose two features added to the current solution:

1) Admin can disable chat for the entire server
2) When either admin disables chat or a user hides chat-messages in his settings, the right-pane frame should be removed completely.

The second point is actually more important than the first in my opinion. I tried disabling the chat and now I still have the frame taking up space, but it's empty. As the screen shot below shows it's a bit annoying if you don't want the chat-functionality.

Currently without Subsonic due to hardware failure :(
jigsaw

Postby sindre_mehus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi,

I agree that the right-hand side frame looks awkward in some situations, but the primary reason why I added it was to be able to always show the "Now playing" info which is also put in that frame. Also, it slightly improves performance, since it's only loaded once, rather than every time you select an artist, album etc.

Note that the right frame will be removed if you disable both chat and "now playing".

I'm of course always open to other suggestions to how to design the user interface :-)
Subsonic developer
sindre_mehus

Return to Feature Requests