Find Albums by Genre

Got an idea? Missing something? Post your feature request here.

Moderator: moderators

Find Albums by Genre

Postby matthew » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Sindre,

Can you possibly add a genre listing - Created by the ID3 tags of the albums? This would be great.

Thanks
Matthew.
matthew

Postby R3nn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 am

I second this request. Either make playlist creation by genre possible and/or make something like that possible with the 'random' playlist option please.

I'm profoundly pleased with the Subsonic software, big cheers guys! Keep up the great work!!

By the way, for those (like me) using subsonic to access and play their home music collection from various remote locations and concerned about security... if you have a router/firewall with sshd; instead of opening tcp ports to your internal workstation you might want to consider using SSH tunnels. Works wonders! (use PuTTY from Windoze or gSTM from GNU/Linux)

Cheers and Thanks!
R3nn

Postby sindre_mehus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:41 am

I'll add a genre option to the random playlist feature.

Browsing by genre is a bit more involved (since browsing in Subsonic uses the directory layout), so I can't promise anything there.

Regarding security: HTTPS (SSL) is another option which works very well with Subsonic. Here's how to enable SSL in Tomcat. Then, configure the "Non-SSL stream port" in "Settings > General", and you're good to go.

Sindre
sindre_mehus

Postby R3nn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:15 pm

sindre_mehus wrote:I'll add a genre option to the random playlist feature.

Browsing by genre is a bit more involved (since browsing in Subsonic uses the directory layout), so I can't promise anything there.
Sweet. Thanks mate.

Regarding security: HTTPS (SSL) is another option which works very well with Subsonic. Here's how to enable SSL in Tomcat. Then, configure the "Non-SSL stream port" in "Settings > General", and you're good to go.
Aye, ssl is always a good option, however it doesn't shield your private services from unauthorized usage unless you can require client-certificates of some sort (although you'd need to carry those around too then) :)
SSH tunneling provides both an encrypted data-channel and access control (since you'd need a valid SSH login to access the resource ;)) After I log in and my tunnel is up and running I just connect my browser and mp3 player to 'localhost' on my configured port :D 8) Subsonic works perfectly over it (ie. also provides the correct localhost stream url to the mp3 player)
Anyway... there's tons of valid security measures possible, I just thought this one was worth mentioning.

Cheers m8
R3nn

Postby sindre_mehus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Ah, I didn't think about the access control part. Very nice, indeed!

Thanks for sharing,
Sindre
sindre_mehus

Return to Feature Requests