Update of jwplayer to Support HTML5

Got an idea? Missing something? Post your feature request here.

Moderator: moderators

Update of jwplayer to Support HTML5

Postby jdkiel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:30 am

Hi,

first of all, thanks for all the great work you are doing! I really like your Software and use it every day!
My feature request is to update the jwplayer to the newest version ( 5.8 ) that supports html5.
It would than be great to have a possibility to choose what to use as default.
Thanks a lot!!
jdkiel

Re: Update of jwplayer to Support HTML5

Postby Adam B. » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:10 pm

HTML5 is especially important now the Adobe has announced they're no longer going to develop Flash for mobile devices.
Adam B.

Postby ChiMatt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Bumping for a quick release with the new jwplayer release supporting html5
ChiMatt

Postby asayler » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 pm

The HTML5 version of jwplayer also seems to support wav playout. This means that those of use who are looking for lossless playout without having to use an external player would also benefit from the html5 jwplayer upgrade.

+1 vote for html5 jwplayer.

-Andy
asayler

Postby sooth » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Another +1 here please! Would love to use this on my iDevices without buying different apps!
sooth

Postby GJ51 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:26 pm

To update JW Player to the newest version, go to http://www.activeobjects.no/subsonic/fo ... php?t=5977

and read the instructions. Read the whole thread as you'll see there is the long way and the short way. I use the method I suggested as it seemed to be less time consuming. IF I want to know what version of the player I'm running, I'll just fo a right click on the installed player and it will tell me what version it is.

I just downloaded JW 5.X, extract player.swf, rename it to the current name in the subsonic/jetty/xxxx/webapp/flash folder and replace the original file. Rename JW Player 5.4 to Old JW Player 5.4. then drop player.swf into the directory and rename it to JW Player 5.4 when you're done it'll be named 5.4 but if you right click on it in SS you'll se that it's really 5.X
Gary J

http://bios-mods.com
http://www.maplegrovepartners.com
http://theaverageguy.tv/category/tagpodcasts/cyberfrontiers/
GJ51

Postby jdkiel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:27 pm

I want HTML5 Support and I think there are some things that have to be changed in the subsonic code so that you can either choose between flash and HTML5 or HTML5 ist the default setting for the player.
jdkiel

Postby monkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Just updated to JWPlayer 5.8.2011 and in Ubuntu Oneric, Firefox (And Firefox 9 beta) the flash player is still used.
Tried in Google Chrome and the same.

How do we modify (presumably) playlist.jsp and videoPlayer.jsp to use the HTML5 version rather than the flash one?
monkey

Postby Drefsab » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Lookings that the JW Player documentation the following code block would try HTML5 first then fall back to flash.

Code: Select all
<div id="container">Loading the player ...</div> <script type="text/javascript"> jwplayer("container").setup({ height: 270, width: 480, image: "http://server.com/images/thumbnail.jpg", modes: [ { type: "flash", src: "/jwplayer/player.swf", config: { file: "video.mp4", streamer: "rtmp://rtmp.server.com/videos", provider: "rtmp" } }, { type: "html5", config: { file: "http://server.com/videos/video.mp4" } }, { type: "download" } ] }); </script>

So we can see the format, its just a case of looking at the code in subsonic for where the video player is and add the suitable code. I will have a look tomorrow at this if I get chance :)

*Edit*

ok looks like its /var/subsonic/jetty/2508/webapp/WEB-INF/jsp/videoPlayer.jsp is where the settings are set. Just been there to upgrade to JW Player 5.8
Drefsab

Postby monkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Forgive me for sounding thick, so what would videoPlayer.jsp need to look like to get HTML5 first and then fall back to flash?
monkey

Postby Drefsab » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:41 pm

We need to add the new mode block into the jw player section in videoPlayer.jsp (http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/jw-player-for-flash-v5/16000/embedding-with-default-html5-mode-selected). If no one else codes it before Im in work tomorrow I will give it a go, it looks simple enough.
Drefsab

Postby Drefsab » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:40 pm

ok just had a quick look at this, it seams that you have to change the embedding method:

"Prior to the JW 5.3 release, the most common methods used to embed the JW Player on your website were object/embed code and swfobejct (1.5 or 2.X). With the release of JW 5.3, we also introduced our own embed method, the JW Embedder, referenced as jwplayer.js. We recommend the JW Embedder when you’re looking to achieve the following:

* Seamless failover between the Flash and HTML5 players.
* Automatic integration with the JavaScript API."

looking at the videoplayer.jsp its using swfobject so to have it work that way a rewrite of videoplayer.jsp to use their JW Embedder is called for. Im not a professional programmer and I try to stick to php but I don't see why this can't be done. I try to have a play when I can.
Drefsab

Postby jwegman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:40 pm

As I understand it, Subsonic will need to be modified in how it transcodes and streams.

HTML5's Live Streaming needs video to be encoded with h264 baseline profile in a transport stream (TS) container. The video is transcoded in chunks to a temp directory (5 seconds per chunk file as an example) and a .m38u playlist file is generated for the player to request and consume the video chunks.

Also note, that with some browsers, the JW player is not needed for HTML5's Live Streaming as it's supported right out of the box (and may support hardware acceleration of the video?)
jwegman

Postby Drefsab » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:34 pm

Your right in that it does not support FLV, you would instead transcode into a mp4 container for HTML5 :) http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/jw-player-for-flash-v5/14625/html5-support
Drefsab

Postby asayler » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:45 pm

It would be really cool if we could at least get an option to enable the HTML5 mode jwplayer in the next Subsonic release. Not only would it bypass the need for flash, but it also has some extra features (wav playback, etc).

It seems the biggest issue would be with flv video, but by transcoding to mp4 instead of flv, that could be solved. Even without the video fix, making it optional would allow those of us the mainly use Subsonic for music to benefit from the new player.

I would love to see this option.

-Andy
asayler

Next

Return to Feature Requests