http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Announcements and discussion of new releases.

Moderator: moderators

http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby nohart » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi I cant seem to get the subsonic server to work. Is it off line? My connection works locally http://localhost:4040/ and with the ip address but not when I try to go through the subsonic server at http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org
nohart
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby gurutech » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Two possibilities:

1) You do not have port forwarding enabled/configured on your router. To do this, follow instructions for your router on www.portforward.com and forward port 4040 to the machine hosting Subsonic.
2) You have port forwarding enabled and configured, but are trying to get to "yourname.subsonic.org" from a different computer on your home network and it is resolving to the IP address of the computer you are on.

To resolve #2, you will need to get a 3rd party domain, and forward it to your external IP address. Easiest way is through a "DynDNS" type service. I use no-ip.com for mine (because it's free). If you are outside your home network, and port forwarding is working, then you should be able to use the subsonic.org address.
Image
gurutech
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby nohart » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Ok well I have been using the ap for several years now and the port forwarding was working in my router and it still shows that it is listed but it just wont work. I don't know what got changed. This has happened a few times over the years and each time I spend hours trying to fix it but I don't remember what I did. So I guess I have to spend hours trying to fix it again...
nohart
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby nohart » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:27 pm

If I put in http://ipaddrsss:4040 it works also
nohart
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby gurutech » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:07 am

When you put in "ipaddress:4040", are you using your internal IP address (192.168.x.x) or your external IP address?

Some things to try:

1) Confirm your external IP address is still the same (ISP's are notorious for changing them every so often)
2) Delete the port forward entry form your router and save settings, then re-enter it and save again
3) Within Subsonic, go to settings, then network. Uncheck the box that says "Access your server over the internet ...." and save, then check it and save again.
Image
gurutech
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby nohart » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:07 am

When I try to go to myserversname.subsonic.org I get - The connection has timed out

The server at 108.0.151.78 is taking too long to respond. This is not my IP. I am not sure why its trying to go to this IP.
nohart
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby eltoro » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm having the same issues. I'm in an office space that has satellite internet for about 60 offices. Not going to be able to do port forwarding since there isn't any i.t. guy here in the building, and no one even knows what router it is. Is there a way around this? If not I guess subsonic isn't for me unfortunately. I'm actually fairly tech savy (maybe not so much with networking) but still I've done port forwarding elsewhere, and I'm pretty stumped here. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has signed up for subsonic and since they can't figure this out they stop. Is there any way to simply do this? Thanks!
eltoro
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby gurutech » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:25 pm

nohart wrote:When I try to go to myserversname.subsonic.org I get - The connection has timed out

The server at 108.0.151.78 is taking too long to respond. This is not my IP. I am not sure why its trying to go to this IP.



Your public IP address may have changed at the ISP level. Go to www.whatismyip.com and verify that the IP address it says you have is the one that matches up with your server.subsonic.org address. If they are different, try browsing to the IP address reported by whatismyip.com with a :4040 at the end (ie. 108.0.151.78:4040) and see if you can connect to your server that way. If you can, then port forwarding is working. The issue is now related to the subsonic.org DNS entry. You should be able to send an email or PM to Sindre and he should be able to fix that for you, or you can also go to a free DNS site like no-ip.com and set up a domain there (this is what I did).
Image
gurutech
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby gurutech » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:27 pm

eltoro wrote:I'm having the same issues. I'm in an office space that has satellite internet for about 60 offices. Not going to be able to do port forwarding since there isn't any i.t. guy here in the building, and no one even knows what router it is. Is there a way around this? If not I guess subsonic isn't for me unfortunately. I'm actually fairly tech savy (maybe not so much with networking) but still I've done port forwarding elsewhere, and I'm pretty stumped here. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has signed up for subsonic and since they can't figure this out they stop. Is there any way to simply do this? Thanks!



If your company has an IT guy (even if he works remotely), he should be able to get to your local router and set up port forwarding for you. (If that's against company policy, though, he may not want to or be able to do this.)
Image
gurutech
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby GJ51 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:40 pm

When the external ip address is changed by the ISP, all you have to do is go to Settings/Network and Save. This sends the new information to subsonic.org and associates the new ip with the YOURNAME address on the server.

It's only when DHCP changes your INTERNAL network address for the host machine that you have to edit the port forwarding to reflect the change.

HTH
Gary J

http://bios-mods.com
http://www.maplegrovepartners.com
http://theaverageguy.tv/category/tagpodcasts/cyberfrontiers/
User avatar
GJ51
 
Posts: 3492
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:58 pm
Location: Western New York

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby nohart » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:44 pm

gurutech wrote:
Your public IP address may have changed at the ISP level. Go to http://www.whatismyip.com and verify that the IP address it says you have is the one that matches up with your server.subsonic.org address. If they are different, try browsing to the IP address reported by whatismyip.com with a :4040 at the end (ie. 108.0.151.78:4040) and see if you can connect to your server that way. If you can, then port forwarding is working. The issue is now related to the subsonic.org DNS entry. You should be able to send an email or PM to Sindre and he should be able to fix that for you, or you can also go to a free DNS site like no-ip.com and set up a domain there (this is what I did).


Ok I tried to go to the IP 108.0.151.78 and it opens a page that says "DVR Login For Mobile" and ask for user name and password. I also tried to send Sindre an email on here but it doesn't look like it went because it shows in my Outbox not in my Sent Folder? I re-opened it and I don't see how to get it out of the Outbox and actually send it. I really appreciate your help on this :-) I also did as you suggested and went to http://www.whatismyip.com and got the IP and put 4040 at the end and it works. So it looks like all along it is as I thought and http://myusername.subsonic.org isn't working...
nohart
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby nohart » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:53 pm

GJ51 wrote:When the external ip address is changed by the ISP, all you have to do is go to Settings/Network and Save. This sends the new information to subsonic.org and associates the new ip with the YOURNAME address on the server.

It's only when DHCP changes your INTERNAL network address for the host machine that you have to edit the port forwarding to reflect the change.

HTH


So under Subsonic URL your not supposed to have http://myusername.subsonic.org its supposed to be your IP address?
nohart
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby GJ51 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:01 pm

nohart wrote:
GJ51 wrote:When the external ip address is changed by the ISP, all you have to do is go to Settings/Network and Save. This sends the new information to subsonic.org and associates the new ip with the YOURNAME address on the server.

It's only when DHCP changes your INTERNAL network address for the host machine that you have to edit the port forwarding to reflect the change.

HTH


So under Subsonic URL your not supposed to have http://myusername.subsonic.org its supposed to be your IP address?


In Settings/Network:

Check: Access your server over the Internet using an easy-to-remember address.

When you Save the Network Settings, Subsonic will grab your external ip address and the port number that it is using and send the information to Subsonic.org and pair it with the vanity name you have entered. Once it is successfully registered, when you request http://myname.subsonic.org from anywhere, the request will get routed to subsonic.org, which then will look at the"myname" portion to redirect the request to your external ip and port number.

Once received at your router, the port forward rule on the router will send it to the internal ip address of the machine that hosts Subsonic. That's why any request will fail if any of that information is incorrect.

http://Yourusername.subsonic.org

Status: Successfully registered web address.

Click on Save button to re-transmit your new ip to subsonic.org

Check any messaging in the red highlighted area above. If it comes back with anything other than what you see above, post the response .
Gary J

http://bios-mods.com
http://www.maplegrovepartners.com
http://theaverageguy.tv/category/tagpodcasts/cyberfrontiers/
User avatar
GJ51
 
Posts: 3492
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:58 pm
Location: Western New York

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby nohart » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Ok got it. The info was all there I guess it needed to be re-saved. I don't know I guess something got corrupted...
nohart
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: http://YOURNAME.subsonic.org isnt responding

Postby nohart » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Sindre responded with - "It's working now. The ***.subsonic.org address is automatically updated every two hours with the current IP." Thank for all the help!
nohart
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm


Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests