Subsonic 6.0 released

Announcements and discussion of new releases.

Moderator: moderators

Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby sindre_mehus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi!

I finally got around to release the final version of Subsonic 6.0. A big thanks to all beta testers :)

New: Updated French translation, courtesy of Christophe
New: Updated Dutch translation, courtesy of Toolman
New: Updated German translation, courtesy of deejay2302
New: Updated Japanese translation, courtesy of ChameleonCyber.
Bugfix: Fixed broken "External player with playlist"
Bugfix: Embedded internet radio player now works with most streams.
Bugfix: Don't queue following songs when playing from search results / starred songs.

Cheers
Sindre
Subsonic developer
User avatar
sindre_mehus
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:19 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi Sindre,

Thanks for the new version. I've been running 6.0.beta2 without any issues, but when trying to install 6.0 final using the debian/ubuntu file I get the following error:

dpkg-deb: file `subsonic-6.0.deb' contains ununderstood data member data.tar.xz , giving up
dpkg: error processing subsonic-6.0.deb (--install):
subprocess dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile returned error exit status 2

I've never had any issues with any subsonic deb packages before.
is anyone suffering the same problem?
Skywatcher
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 am

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby gingerbeast121 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:10 pm

Hmm seemed to install fine for me (.deb package on Ubuntu server 16.04). Mine was an upgrade from beta2 too

Sounds silly but have you confirmed the .deb file downloaded properly (isn't corrupt). Might be worth re-downloading if you haven't already tried!

EDIT:

Thanks Sindre too. Good to see a final release so I can go about upgrading my PROD box :-)
gingerbeast121
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby daneren2005 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:36 pm

Are you not uploading the source code anymore?
Developer of DSub for Android
daneren2005
 
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby sindre_mehus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:29 pm

daneren2005 wrote:Are you not uploading the source code anymore?


Sorry, no. Starting with 6.0, Subsonic is no longer open-source (the source code for older versions is still available).

The main reason for this change is that the source contains some software license codes I have purchased and that shouldn't be used by forked projects.
Subsonic developer
User avatar
sindre_mehus
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:19 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby memchk » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:06 pm

sindre_mehus wrote:
daneren2005 wrote:Are you not uploading the source code anymore?


Sorry, no. Starting with 6.0, Subsonic is no longer open-source (the source code for older versions is still available).

The main reason for this change is that the source contains some software license codes I have purchased and that shouldn't be used by forked projects.


Would you ever consider following a "commercial" and "open source" release model a la Owncloud? This way people who like the open source and tinkerabillity of subsonic are satisfied, while proprietary elements could be added / charged for.

Subsonic is a great piece of Open Source software, it would be sad to see it go.
memchk
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby frnx » Sun May 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Damn, I knew something was up when the source code wasn't available anymore on the project page. It's pretty sad whan an open-source project dies like this... :(

memchk wrote:Would you ever consider following a "commercial" and "open source" release model a la Owncloud? This way people who like the open source and tinkerabillity of subsonic are satisfied, while proprietary elements could be added / charged for.


Definitely seconding this. If the commercial code has a limited scope (e.g. only for video streaming), could you perhaps consider distributing it so that it could be enabled on demand? This is not perfect, of course, but I respect that there are some things that the open-source community doesn't do well enough yet.
frnx
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby joost » Sun May 01, 2016 4:05 pm

I would end up using one of those forks when they keep using a free software license...
joost
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby marcobto58 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi
I installed the 6.0 and are pleased with the new look and new features. you did a great job.
I am sorry that it is no longer possible to set the bit rate streaming videos.
I have several users using slow lines, and so it becomes impossible to streaming video. The offline conversion is heavy and doubles the space for video..
It would be possible to restore this functionality?
Furthermore the stream is often interrupted and logs are full of start transcoding messages. It's a normal condition? See log following.

Best regards

log:
...
[2016-05-01 18:58:26,904] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 20 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:58:38,535] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 30 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:58:52,020] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 40 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:59:04,289] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 50 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:59:17,220] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 60 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:59:29,879] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 70 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:59:44,282] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 80 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:59:53,687] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 90 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 19:00:04,243] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 100 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 19:00:15,532] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 110 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 19:00:33,586] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 120 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 19:00:44,525] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 130 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 19:00:54,821] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 140 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -

and so on ...
marcobto58
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby sindre_mehus » Sun May 01, 2016 5:48 pm

marcobto58 wrote:Hi
I installed the 6.0 and are pleased with the new look and new features. you did a great job.
I am sorry that it is no longer possible to set the bit rate streaming videos.
I have several users using slow lines, and so it becomes impossible to streaming video. The offline conversion is heavy and doubles the space for video..
It would be possible to restore this functionality?
Furthermore the stream is often interrupted and logs are full of start transcoding messages. It's a normal condition? See log following.

Best regards

log:
...
[2016-05-01 18:58:26,904] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 20 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:58:38,535] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 30 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:58:52,020] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 40 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:59:04,289] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 50 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
[2016-05-01 18:59:17,220] INFO TranscodeInputStream - Starting transcoder: /var/subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 60 -t 10 -i /media/O_Store/MOVIES/Film/2010 - 13.avi -s 400x170 -v 0 -b:v 200k -maxrate 200k -bufsize 256k -flags -global_header -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -ac 2 -f mpegts -c:v libx264 -preset superfast -c:a aac -b:a 96k -strict -2 -threads 0 -copyts -
and so on ...


Glad you like the new look!

The new video implementation uses "adaptive bitrate streaming", meaning it's supposed to dynamically adapt to the available bandwidth. (How well this works in practice probably depends a lot on the browser and the OS). It's set up to use between 200 - 3000 kbps. In your example it's already at the lower end (200k).

The conversion is done in 10-second chunks, that's why there are multiple ffmpeg entries in the log. (I'm using a protocol called HLS, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming)

The current video implementation is probably not ideal for all browser/OS/bandwidth/videoformat combinations, but hopefully it should be good enough in most cases. And hopefully, browser support for HLS will improve over time.

Regards, Sindre
Subsonic developer
User avatar
sindre_mehus
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:19 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby baardog » Sun May 01, 2016 6:28 pm

Love the new version!
Is it possible to get the Subsonic icon in Sonos?
-
Subsonic v6.0 (build 830afc) – April 30, 2016. Windows
User avatar
baardog
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 6:45 am
Location: Norway

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby marcobto58 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:50 pm

sindre_mehus wrote:
marcobto58 wrote:Hi
I installed the 6.0 and are pleased with the new look and new features. you did a great job.
....


Glad you like the new look!

The new video implementation uses "adaptive bitrate streaming", meaning it's supposed to dynamically adapt to the available bandwidth. (How well this works in practice probably depends a lot on the browser and the OS). It's set up to use between 200 - 3000 kbps. In your example it's already at the lower end (200k).

The conversion is done in 10-second chunks, that's why there are multiple ffmpeg entries in the log. (I'm using a protocol called HLS, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming)

The current video implementation is probably not ideal for all browser/OS/bandwidth/videoformat combinations, but hopefully it should be good enough in most cases. And hopefully, browser support for HLS will improve over time.

Regards, Sindre


Great!!

Thanks for reply

Marco
marcobto58
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby oggie » Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 pm

sindre_mehus wrote:
daneren2005 wrote:Are you not uploading the source code anymore?


Sorry, no. Starting with 6.0, Subsonic is no longer open-source (the source code for older versions is still available).

The main reason for this change is that the source contains some software license codes I have purchased and that shouldn't be used by forked projects.

I hope you didn't violate any of the open source licenses by using a derivative of theirs. Probably not, but it wasn't an issue since you were releasing your code.
oggie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby Skywatcher » Sun May 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi Sindre,

Thanks for the new version. I've been running 6.0.beta2 without any issues, but when trying to install 6.0 final using the debian/ubuntu file I get the following error:

dpkg-deb: file `subsonic-6.0.deb' contains ununderstood data member data.tar.xz , giving up
dpkg: error processing subsonic-6.0.deb (--install):
subprocess dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile returned error exit status 2

I've never had any issues with any subsonic deb packages before.
is anyone suffering the same problem?


After investigating a bit I found the problem. I tried installing it in another box running a newer version of debian and it worked.
The issue is that I'm running Subsonic on a Netgear NAS running an older version of debian (no newer version for this model) and this version of dpkg doesn't know how to unpack .xz
.xz is the new default when you create a install .deb package nowadays, replacing the previous default .gzip, that you have to specify now if you want to package the contents in gzip as before.

Sindre, do you think it'd be possible to create the packages using gzip as the compression method to cater for us not using the latest models as well? It's a simple matter of adding 1 argument in the makefile and would make the .deb file universal as all versions could then unpack it.
I suspect you might have updated your operating system version where you make the files between 6.0.beta2 and now and that's why I can still unpack beta2 but not the final version.

I'd really appreciate that as I could keep running subsonic in the same NAS where I have all my music files.

Cheers,
Skywatcher
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 am

Re: Subsonic 6.0 released

Postby jabrown » Mon May 02, 2016 4:07 am

This is an unfortunate development. The move away from open source means I will no longer be using and supporting subsonic.

Thank you, I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of subsonic and I hope an official FOSS fork is possible in the future.
jabrown
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 am

Next

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: toolman and 1 guest