drilling down

General discussions.

Moderator: moderators

drilling down

Postby tripaphonic » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:29 pm

This may have been asked before but could not find it. I am probably using the wrong terminology.

How far down does Subsonic drill in a folder structure to cache artists and albums? I'm missing a TON of content when I scan and sync with my iDevices.

It appears as though it just scans the root level. If so, has there been any scripts or mods which correct this?

Thanks
tripaphonic

Postby tripaphonic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:27 am

wow. Figured someone would know how subsonic spidered the collection and if it drilled down the folder structure of whatever folder you specify or if it just pulls root queries.
tripaphonic

Postby bormuff » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:59 pm

I just tested this on my server:

Code: Select all
$ mkdir -p Testing/If/Subsonic/Goes/This/Many/Directories/Down
mkdir: created directory `Testing'
mkdir: created directory `Testing/If'
mkdir: created directory `Testing/If/Subsonic'
mkdir: created directory `Testing/If/Subsonic/Goes'
mkdir: created directory `Testing/If/Subsonic/Goes/This'
mkdir: created directory `Testing/If/Subsonic/Goes/This/Many'
mkdir: created directory `Testing/If/Subsonic/Goes/This/Many/Directories'
mkdir: created directory `Testing/If/Subsonic/Goes/This/Many/Directories/Down'
$ cp Toto/Toto\ IV/10-Toto-Toto\ IV-Africa.mp3 Testing/If/Subsonic/Goes/This/Many/Directories/Down/

Updated the search index and reloaded my left hand pane...

'Testing' appears as the artist under 'T'. Clicking on it I get 'If' in the main panel, with the option to keep clicking down till I get:

Code: Select all
Testing » If » Subsonic » Goes » This » Many » Directories » Down

and the track I copied there is displayed. I also verified that searching for this song via the search box in the top panel, found the file.
bormuff

Postby nipar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:05 pm

3 things come to mind.
I have some folders that contain long names and depth up to about 11 or 12 folders and they get indexed no problem.

Your IDevices might have a shorter path name length limit than you computer's OS.

Your iDevices might be encountering "illegal" characters in folder and file names and for that reason those folders/files are skipped.

--
nipar

Postby Exrace » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Indexer has issue with periods and other special characters in file name and file paths. I hope that is fixed soon.

My biggest one was periods in the dir name...It looks to confuse the scan.
Review some of the paths and file names and I am sure you will find that is the case.
Exrace

Postby hridoy40 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:07 pm

I am probably using the wrong terminology.How far down does Subsonic drill in a folder structure to cache artists and albums? I'm missing a TON of content when I scan and sync with my iDevices.

اغاني
hridoy40

Postby 3R3 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:55 am

Never had any trouble with folder depth except when encountering strange characters the indexer cant stomach. Then i didnt even need depth for a hiccup. Check your log under the "Help" tab while you run the index update and hopefully there will be something usefull to diagnose your problem. Posting the conspicious parts of the log or the last 30 or so lines could help too.

regards,
3R3
3R3

Return to General