Subsonic Windows Sidebar gadget

Third-party modifications and add-ons, Apps and Clients

Moderator: moderators

Postby kramttocs » Wed May 04, 2011 7:00 pm

girlcake wrote:Excellent, thank you again!


You are very welcome!
Keep me updated on any issues or feature requests.
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Postby kramttocs » Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

SubGadget has made the app page!
http://www.subsonic.org/pages/apps.jsp
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Postby mustangman5l » Thu May 05, 2011 5:20 pm

kramttocs wrote:SubGadget has made the app page!
http://www.subsonic.org/pages/apps.jsp


Congrats!
mustangman5l
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Postby erik » Thu May 05, 2011 9:48 pm

I just have to say the new release is pretty close to perfect, the way I see it. Getting it to work with all forms of folder structures would be great, but as long as the folder structure is Artist\Album\Tracks like most of us use (I believe), it has become the tool I use for listening to music. Well, that and the android app. Thanks again, kramttocs! =)
erik
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Postby vancamp » Fri May 06, 2011 7:15 am

The gadget is nice, and I know that browsing the library was never one of the design goals. However, I never use playlists and the "search" interface is suboptimal for browsing a large library (the alphabetical "Artist" feature pulls up my genres and when I expand a real "artist" it just says "no tracks"). That leaves the real "search" function, which works pretty well but doesn't allow browsing. Not sure how much I'll use it, but I appreciate the effort that went into it. Thanks.
vancamp
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:00 am

Postby kramttocs » Fri May 06, 2011 3:35 pm

vancamp wrote:The gadget is nice, and I know that browsing the library was never one of the design goals. However, I never use playlists and the "search" interface is suboptimal for browsing a large library (the alphabetical "Artist" feature pulls up my genres and when I expand a real "artist" it just says "no tracks"). That leaves the real "search" function, which works pretty well but doesn't allow browsing. Not sure how much I'll use it, but I appreciate the effort that went into it. Thanks.


Hey vancamp - like erik mentioned, the gadget is designed for the standard Artist\Album\Track hierarchy. I assume yours is Genre\Artist\Album\Track?
If so then yes, the Artist Directory isn't going to function 'correctly' for your situation. Which I assume in the web interface you see the Genres on the left column as well? Without having a library in this configuration, I am just guessing. Like I've mentioned, I plan on looking into this but I will need access to libraries that have the different structures. Thanks
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Postby kramttocs » Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

I have redone the Artist Directory to get it to where it 'should' work with any hierarchy. I say 'should' because now I need some servers to test this on that have the non - Album\Artist\Track structure. If you have a server setup like this and would be willing to give me temporary access, please PM me.
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Postby kramttocs » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 am

SubGadget 2.8 has been released to Google Code

http://code.google.com/p/subgadget/

**Due to the change in the way usernames/passwords are stored. You MUST update all your server entries with the usernames/passwords. They will most likely show up as random characters the first time you open the Settings window. I would recommend doing a backup BEFORE installing 2.8.**

Added Features
1. Should work with any library structure. Let me know if you happen to have one that it doesn't.
2. Passwords can now be blank (for many guest accounts I have seen)

Bug Fixes
1. All usernames/passwords should work without issue. Let me know if you find one that doesn't.

Change
1. In the Artist Directory, there is no longer an All/None 'button' above the track listing. That has been replaced with the ability to double click on the parent line to select/deselect the children. This will only work if there is a single level shown below the parent you are clicking on. For example with structure Artist/Album/Track: Artist expanded to view Albums. Can double click Artist to select/deselect all Albums. Once an Album is expanded, double clicking on Artist won't do anything but double clicking on Album will select/deselect the Tracks.
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Thanks!

Postby Vproduct » Sat May 14, 2011 10:21 am

In version 2.8 the error with discovery of directories is corrected! Thanks! Now all works!
User avatar
Vproduct
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: Thanks!

Postby kramttocs » Thu May 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Vproduct wrote:In version 2.8 the error with discovery of directories is corrected! Thanks! Now all works!


Great! Thanks for giving me temp access to your server so I could get it worked out.
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Postby deejay2302 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:16 pm

My Feedback:

- Good Idea
- Works

Bad:

- Gadget starting in Big Modus
- When i change from small Modus to Big Modus, then switch the Gadget to outside of Monitor. I need the gadget again only make them smaller and move to the left and then switch to the Big mode. This is very disturbing.
- Responds a little too slow
- "Switch Modus Button" and "Change to Equalizer Button" to small. No one would think that there are switches are still on the corners.
- Color/Style does not look good

As I said. The idea is really good. However, I would offer any of my users this app. To this end it is still immature.

No offense :wink:
21.681 Artists
58.141 Albums
674.091 Songs
5072,14 GB (~ 49.341 Hours)
User avatar
deejay2302
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Germany

Postby kramttocs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:38 pm

deejay2302 wrote:My Feedback:

- Good Idea
- Works

Bad:

- Gadget starting in Big Modus
- When i change from small Modus to Big Modus, then switch the Gadget to outside of Monitor. I need the gadget again only make them smaller and move to the left and then switch to the Big mode. This is very disturbing.
- Responds a little too slow
- "Switch Modus Button" and "Change to Equalizer Button" to small. No one would think that there are switches are still on the corners.
- Color/Style does not look good

As I said. The idea is really good. However, I would offer any of my users this app. To this end it is still immature.

No offense :wink:


Hey deejay,
Trust me, you won't offend me. Like any developer, I learned a long time ago that you can't please everyone and if you're doing it for free and in your free time then there is even less motivation :). Although I disagree in that the gadget is 'immature' but that is your opinion. The items you have listed (with the exception of response time) really have nothing to do with functionality or usability.

And in the same manner, don't get offended by my responses.

First and foremost, that this is a sidebar gadget needs to always be remembered. I am not using that as an excuse just a fact because a lot of limitations come with it. And this is NOT a full-fledged application and should not be expected to act as such.
As a side note (and not even on the pc I use SubGadget on), I actually have a scheduled task that restarts the sidebar daily just because of its horrible memory leaks.

1. Gadget starts in full mode - this full mode is the default mode and has all the features so to me it just makes sense starting like this. Although, I could add a new setting for 'Default Mode' in the Settings menu so that when you restart the pc it will be either full or mini based on that setting but you will still have to move it.

2. This is a known occurrence but unfortunately I can't specify the location or move it. Wish I could...

3. This is really dependent on the speed between the client and the server although I am always on the lookout for code optimizations.

4. Have you looked at the Customize settings tab? :) And anyone is free to make a skin for it. As the early users know, at one time there was another one besides the Default but I haven't heard from the author for awhile and it isn't 'complete' anymore due to changes in recent versions.

Thanks for the feedback.
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Postby kramttocs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 am

Hey all,
Just a couple more days of testing and v2.9 will be available on the site for download. This one contains mostly cosmetic/interface changes. Thanks to everyone who has suggested and worked with me to fine tune these changes.

    Ability to attempt to reconnect directly from the main window if the connection is lost
    The current playing track is scrolled to when opening the Now Playing window
    The current playing track is more noticeable (bigger, italics, icon) in the Now Playing window
    The track and artist no longer scrolls/cycles if it all fits on the main window
    Ability to download the current playlist
    Automatically create a server entry if none exist but the user added information and forgot to click Add
    A new track and artist scroll/cycle approach that prevents all the blank space and allows mouse interaction (thanks to John S.)
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

SubGadget 2.9

Postby kramttocs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:31 am

Went ahead posted 2.9 on the google code site a couple days early. The changes in this version are those mentioned in the post before this one. Note: This version has not been tested in Vista.
Enjoy!
kramttocs
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Postby Nitsu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 pm

I got a quick question, Awesome gadget by the way!

Whenever i play any music no cover art shows up in the gadget. When i click on the middle of the player it shows the blown up sized next to the gadget, but it never shows up in the player portion.

Anybody have any ideas on helping with this?

Thanks a lot!
User avatar
Nitsu
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Mods, Apps and Clients

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron