Subsonic 4.7.beta2 released

Announcements and discussion of new releases.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Subsonic 4.7.beta2 released

Postby r0gue33 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:09 pm

GJ51 wrote:playlists can be imported one at a time in the beta 2 release.

Auto-import is scheduled to be incorporated int the 4.7 final.

Gary-
We're trying to add the playlists manually one by one. Some import, some just don't. The only log messages are a certain song's path is wrong. If I correct the path or just delete the incorrect path from the playlist via notepad, it still won't import.
r0gue33
r0gue33

Postby BKKKPewsey » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 pm

It has been suggested that if the playlist is not all lower-case then the import fails.
Whether that is just the path ? :?
I know I couldn't get any of my 4.6 playlists to import :(
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, Image but some abuse the privilege!

Due to the confusion from too many genres of music, we have decided to put both country music and rap music into the genre of Crap music.
BKKKPewsey

Postby GJ51 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 pm

I did about 10 imports on a 32 bit install that all went fine, but I haven't heard much else about the issue since then. The todo notes indicate that an automated import is in the works for the 4.7 final.

DONE IN 4.7
-------------
Don't display "null" as artist in now playing.
Fixed crash on Java 7 caused by wrong sorting implementation.
Added Settings > General > Sort albums by year
Try with different encodings when importing playlists.
Admins should be able to manage all playlists (that is visible to them)
Use "album artist" tag if present.

TODO IN 4.7
-----------------
Make it possible to refresh left frame?
Go thru bug reports.
Retest playlist import (different encodings)
Review resolution of albumartist.
Auto-import playlists
Video has playlist features (PLay all, Add all..)
Show all playlist metadata. (Shared with all users, Shared with 4 users, 12 songs, 45:34)
Something wrong with matching players/users in Now Playing.
Gary J

http://bios-mods.com
http://www.maplegrovepartners.com
http://theaverageguy.tv/category/tagpodcasts/cyberfrontiers/
GJ51

Postby BKKKPewsey » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:41 pm

GJ51 wrote:but I haven't heard much else about the issue since then

The only info I have is viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9743
When I get time I will do some testing

:mrgreen:

Due to the confusion from too many genres of music, we have decided to put both country music and rap music into the genre of Crap music.
BKKKPewsey

Postby mozster » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:19 am

mystery666 wrote:I'm a pretty heavy subsonic user. I use it all day at work, 8 to 10 hours per day and I'm constantly modifying creating and deleting playlists. I've got around 30 right now. When i get home, i use XBMC as the front end on my media center and prior to 4.7 i simply had XBMC and Subsonic use the same playlist folder. Now, i'm not sure what I'll do because I won't want to have to export my playlists constantly. I'm not sure what was gained by eliminating the m3u files that all other programs use but maybe i'll be able to run some kind of command line task or something to export automatically. Any thoughts on how we'll be able to integrate the playlists from the DB to other apps without interaction?

Can I just +1 this too... I've got a shared playlist folder that I use to synchronise playslists between subsonic, slimserver and any desktop mediaplayer I'm using.

Is it straightforward to have some command line export command that would dump playlists into a folder?
mozster

Postby rickeo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:37 am

I wish we could find out what has changed in 4.7b2 that requires you to manually start a media folder scan before new music will show up in SS.

Previous versions going as far back as I can remember just required a refresh of the browser window on the Client side before new music will show up.

Pretty massive shift don't you think?
rickeo

Postby bushman4 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:09 pm

rickeo wrote:I wish we could find out what has changed in 4.7b2 that requires you to manually start a media folder scan before new music will show up in SS.

I think I can answer that... Subsonic now uses a database back end with stored tag info from your music files. Apparently, the list views in the web interface are built from that database instead of from the file structure. So in order for subsonic to know about new files, a scan must happen to get that info into the database.

It would be ideal if there were two types of "re-scan" functions, one that looked at everything and verified that the database was consistent (call that a consistency check I guess) and one that just goes by "last scan date" and looks for files modified since then and adds them.

The second one, in most file systems, could be blazing fast.

Glenn
Glenn Sullivan
Subsonic 6.1.6 (Unraid Docker)
90 regular Subsonic Users

Library as of 2021-09-23:
4,120 artists
16,235 albums
201,172 songs
5525.59 GB
26,799 hours
bushman4

Postby gurutech » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Ran into an issue the other day where Windows Media player was listing a bunch of my music as "Unknown Album", "Unknown Artist". I really only use WMP to burn CD's into MP3 files, and the same music was still showing up correctly in iTunes and Subsonic, but found that the problem was due to WMP not being able to read ID3 v2.4 tags. I converted them to v2.3 in iTunes, and then was able to view everything in it's proper format in WMP.

Was wondering if this would be an issue with the 4.7 release?
gurutech

Postby glic3rinu » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:26 pm

It would be ideal if there were two types of "re-scan" functions, one that looked at everything and verified that the database was consistent (call that a consistency check I guess) and one that just goes by "last scan date" and looks for files modified since then and adds them.

The second one, in most file systems, could be blazing fast.

+1

Just tried a "find . -mtime -1" on a IDE HDD (5.4Krpm) full of music (2TB) and it took less than a minute to complete. :)
glic3rinu

Postby BKKKPewsey » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:20 am

BKKKPewsey wrote:
GJ51 wrote:but I haven't heard much else about the issue since then

The only info I have is viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9743
When I get time I will do some testing

Regarding playlist import
Further testing using my test server - it does import correctly even with upper case characters in the path name.
So why my original 4.7b2 install/upgrade didn't import I do not know - the only difference being that could make a difference is the test server install was a clean install.

However another issue, I am having great trouble with, is getting media scanned in.
My original 4.7b2 upgrade was on my media server and the media appeared to scan in np (but took nearly 12 hrs to scan :shock: )
My test server is accessing the same music but is now accessing it over a wireless network.
If I add a large folder to the media folders and ask it to scan it will get part of the way through and then I think the network drops out so only some of the albums are listed.
Checking the log I get a load of Failed to list children for XXXXXX errors
However -and this is the main problem - if I ask SS to rescan again it gets to the same point and then stops
So I cannot get the rest of the albums scanned in :( lots of empty directories
also no errors shown in the log - it just stops scanning :roll:

BKKKPewsey

Postby GJ51 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:38 am

I've found the "upgrade" path with 4.7 b1 & 2 to be a bit shaky at best. If you're having any problems, you'd be well advised to uninstall SS and Java and start from a clean slate. Out of the 8 SS sites I run, 3 out of 4 that I did upgades on didn't work right until I redid them from scratch.

I think most of this was caused by the java problem that's scheduled to be remedied for the 4.7 final release.

Next up, I'll be testing Subsonic on Server 2012 RC later tonight. I just installed it on a server to start testing with Windows 8 preview. It'll be interesting to see what we run into on the new platform.
Gary J

http://bios-mods.com
http://www.maplegrovepartners.com
http://theaverageguy.tv/category/tagpodcasts/cyberfrontiers/
GJ51

Postby BKKKPewsey » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:53 am

Some more testing been carried out on 4.7b2 Test server - Not good news I'm afraid :cry:

To try to get my media folders to fully scan (see my previous post) I deleted the previously scanned folders from SS.
This resulted in the left frame becoming devoid of any artists (understandably)
I then added 1 of the folders back in and hit rescan - the scan files progress bar briefly flashed up and then stopped.
Still no artists in left frame :(
So I added back some more of the previously deleted folders - same result
I checked the database and all the folders and files were being listed including items that had been scanned previously,
been deleted, and not added back in. So it appears that deleted items are not being removed from the database.
So I added another folder which had not been scanned in previously - that scanned and displayed in the left frame
So I now show artists in the left frame and albums in the main frame but only for artists beginning with "U" :roll:
Sindre if you want any further info please pm (I cannot give you guest access as this test server is on local lan only)

Thankfully my 4.6 main SS server is running sweet as a nut :D

Edit: The post that was above mine (now deleted) probably the fastest deleted spam post ever - 1 minute on the board :twisted:

BKKKPewsey

Postby pemholder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:49 pm

BKKKPewsey wrote:To try to get my media folders to fully scan (see my previous post) I deleted the previously scanned folders from SS.

I made some tests too and recognized that I had problems with adding and deleting meida-folders.
To make them show up in the left frame I naturally had to force a rescan.
But most of the time there was no really rescan and the artists of the new media-dolders did not show.
To really force a rescan I had to delete the database.
pemholder

Postby tmwsiy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm confused....I have 4.7.beta2 and I still don't see option of Sorting by Album year....It seems to be on somehow and screwing all my folders up.
tmwsiy

Postby bushman4 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Sindre has added that option to his currently "in-development" code base. It will be included in the next beta (or stable) release. It was not added until after 4.7Beta2 had been released.

Glenn
Glenn Sullivan
Subsonic 6.1.6 (Unraid Docker)
90 regular Subsonic Users

Library as of 2021-09-23:
4,120 artists
16,235 albums
201,172 songs
5525.59 GB
26,799 hours
bushman4

PreviousNext