play:Sub 1.1 is out

Announcements and discussion of new releases.

Moderator: moderators

play:Sub 1.1 is out

Postby Michael Bech Hansen » Fri May 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi all,

play:Sub 1.1 is in the iOS App Store now.

Here's What's New in Version 1.1:
New features:
- Universal app, giving better looks on iPads.
- Search.

Bugfixes and other tweaks:
- Fixed a crash affecting devices with very low free space.
- Fixed a crash triggered by tracks with empty name from metadata.
- Fixed a crash occurring when starting playback from the last part of a large container.
- Fixed lockscreen album art not updated for first track in new play-queue.
- Improved handling of 0-length audio-files sometimes sent from the server (happens when server transcoding fails for whatever reason).
- Minor UI tweaks.

Of course v1.2 is in the works, and will sport playlist-support as the main attraction.

Thanks to all the early adopters - keep the feedback and suggestions coming.

Cheers
Michael.
Developer of play:Sub for iOS.
https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/play-sub-subsonic-music-streamer/id955329386?mt=8
Michael Bech Hansen

Re: play:Sub 1.1 is out

Postby lpr » Sat May 09, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks for the app.

Here's a quick comment. The initial import for a large library is just really really long and mine stopped at around 60%... Now I did a reload media and I slowly see my track count go up and the wheel spinning next to my server's name in the settings page, but it's painfully slow. Would it be possible not to even load the library on the app and remote access it from the server?

Here are some other suggestions for 1.2:

A sleep timer or the ability to use "stop music" with Apple's own timer.
A simple clear queue option.

Keep up the good work. The universal app looks great on my iPad and I can't wait for the landscape mode ;)

Take care.
lpr

Postby Michael Bech Hansen » Sat May 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi lpr,

lpr wrote:The initial import for a large library is just really really long and mine stopped at around 60%... Now I did a reload media and I slowly see my track count go up and the wheel spinning next to my server's name in the settings page, but it's painfully slow.

I agree, the importing process gets very longwinded for large collections, older hardware and slow connections, or any combination of those.

lpr wrote:Would it be possible not to even load the library on the app and remote access it from the server?

That's one of the options I'm considering.
Loading metadata for the whole library is kind of fundamental to the app, and enables some features that is not easily made otherwise (without server-side support).
I may end up ditching the whole preload thing, if no good solution presents itself.

Here are some other suggestions for 1.2:
A sleep timer or the ability to use "stop music" with Apple's own timer.
A simple clear queue option.

Noted.

Keep up the good work. The universal app looks great on my iPad and I can't wait for the landscape mode ;)

Yeah, changing to universal app made a huge difference, even if the layout of the UI is exactly the same as before.

Michael.
https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/play-sub-subsonic-music-streamer/id955329386?mt=8
Michael Bech Hansen

Postby timlance » Sun May 10, 2015 1:39 am

Michael Bech Hansen wrote:...
I may end up ditching the whole preload thing, if no good solution presents itself. ...

Michael.

Please don't! Unless I'm missing something. My music is of a size, and my home network fast enough, that this is not an issue and so prefer having the data loaded.
timlance

Postby thatkeith » Sun May 10, 2015 3:24 pm

What features does preloading the library enable? If it's truly a problem then could it be made optional? It's working for me, although with ~65k tracks it took a fair while to complete the first run.
thatkeith

Postby Michael Bech Hansen » Sun May 10, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi,

thatkeith wrote:What features does preloading the library enable?

An example is that play:Sub allows you to queue all tracks for an complete artist or folder-tree in one operation.
Since the library is preloaded, it can be done very quickly without talking to the server at all.
To implement the same without preloading, would require a server-roundtrip for each album and sub-folder.
Even for artist with few albums or a small folder-tree, this can easily take 1-2 sec, and will degrade from there.
I guess you can say that I'm trading time spent up front, with performance afterwards.

If it's truly a problem then could it be made optional?

I thought about making preloading optional...
It's not that it can't be done, but it will mean making two different implementations for many features, including testing and maintaining two different modes in the future.
As I see it now, optional probably won't happen.

It's working for me, although with ~65k tracks it took a fair while to complete the first run.

Great it's working for you.
There's a few people with a lot larger collections, for which I believe this is a problem.

This is something I want to do something about, I just haven't cracked what the best solution is yet.

/Michael.
Michael Bech Hansen

Postby garneto » Sun May 24, 2015 3:27 pm

I am trying to use play:Sub (1.1).
But it will not be able to connect to my server.

I have entered Server address in this way.
https://my.server:port
(port is numeric, of course)

But app displayed 'Subsonic server not found at https://my.server:port/'.
play:Sub is not support https server now? or I had something wrong?
In other apps, it is running on same server address.

Subsonic version: 5.2.1
iOS version: 8.3
other apps: iSub, Dsub, Subsonic(android)

Best regards,
garneto

Postby Michael Bech Hansen » Sun May 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi,

Are you by any chance using a self-signed certificate on the server ?
The current version does not handle self-signed certs, but that will be remedied in the next release.

If you want me to take a look at what's going on, send me a private message with server details.

Michael.
Michael Bech Hansen

Postby garneto » Sun May 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi Michael,

Are you by any chance using a self-signed certificate on the server ?
The current version does not handle self-signed certs, but that will be remedied in the next release.

Oh, I see.
I use self-signed certs indeed.
I will wait for the update.

Thank you!
garneto

Postby padraic » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:03 am

Well, I bought this and it looks quite nice.

However, one thing is that I have my music collection divided into top-level folders ("Media Folders" in the subsonic web app). I'd like to have that hierarchy available to me as it was in iSub, but in this app everything is all mixed together.
padraic

Postby timlance » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:15 am

+1 for the above.
timlance

Postby Michael Bech Hansen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:45 am

padraic wrote:However, one thing is that I have my music collection divided into top-level folders ("Media Folders" in the subsonic web app). I'd like to have that hierarchy available to me as it was in iSub, but in this app everything is all mixed together.

Noted.
Support for "Subsonic Media Folders" is already on my todo-list.
It's not going to be in the next few releases, but this is the most requested feature at the moment, so it's definitely going to happen.

Feedback from you guys is most welcome, and helps prioritize what gets done first.
Keep it coming.

Michael.
Michael Bech Hansen

Postby timlance » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Where are smilies for :thumbsup: :cheers: and :thank you:? 8)
timlance

Return to Announcements