Subsonic does not find new music on a local hard drive.

Need help? Post your questions here.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Subsonic does not find new music on a local hard drive.

Postby toolman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am

I see.
So after having performed one scan it seems like Subsonic doesn't notice any changes anymore.
To add new folders you have to delete the mediafolder settings, add them again and than the changes get picked up again. But just for once.
Perhaps configuring Subsonic to use an external database might be the solution?
Because I honestly couldn't think of any reason why Subsonic can't pick up any newly added albums.
toolman

Postby featherstonehaugh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm

I might try that, and I’m going to try to completely uninstall and then reinstall Subsonic as well.
featherstonehaugh

Postby tmwsiy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:18 pm

I am having exact same issue with Windows 10.

Fresh install. 3 external HD's that I have my music stored on.

I used to be able to add albums to existing artist folders and navigate to those without scanning.
They don't show up. And new artists do not show up after scanning.

I can delete the directory from the settings, scan, clean-up database, add directory back, re-scan and fix the issue.
BUT I add albums every day and this is not a solution. And, of course, I lose all my play data every time I do this.

I hope there is a solution.
tmwsiy

Postby featherstonehaugh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Nice to see I'm not the only one. BTW totally uninstalling / reinstalling Subsonic does not fix the issue.
featherstonehaugh

Postby tmwsiy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 am

featherstonehaugh wrote:Nice to see I'm not the only one. BTW totally uninstalling / reinstalling Subsonic does not fix the issue.

Yup. Tried that too.

I can't make heads or tails out of trying to figure out how to add an external database and not sure that solution even works.
I would love Sindre to chime in here.
tmwsiy

Postby Marzer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to weigh on that this also happens to me, but on OSX10. I also have music on an external hard drive, and typically delete and rescan the entire library each time. This has happened to me for a long time (over a year). Just wanted to throw this info out there to show that it's not Win10 specific.
Marzer

Postby tmwsiy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Marzer wrote:Hi All,

Just wanted to weigh on that this also happens to me, but on OSX10. I also have music on an external hard drive, and typically delete and rescan the entire library each time. This has happened to me for a long time (over a year). Just wanted to throw this info out there to show that it's not Win10 specific.

I add many albums per week so doing this even weekly would not be a great solution for me. Firstly, I add live shows that I want to be instantly available from previous day. Second, with the size of my library, the initial scan after adding back the directory takes over half an hour.

I hope there is a fix for this soon.
tmwsiy

Postby featherstonehaugh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:08 pm

The lack of developer response on what is obviously a widespread issue is disappointing, especially considering that I prepaid for Subsonic Premium for a pretty long time before discovering this bug.
featherstonehaugh

Postby tmwsiy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Welp, I seemed to have figured out my issue and perhaps is same cause of issues for others:

Subsonic relies on last-modified timestamps on the music/artist folders.
For some inexplicable reason, Windows 10 is NOT updating this timestamp on my folders when I add anything into it.
Not sure how widespread this is but after HOURS of Googling and reading dozens of forum replies, there are a lot of potential causes/solutions.
I have tried many of them but none of them seem to work.

I might just bail on Windows and move to Mac as I am sick of fiddling with shit trying to get it to work.

I downloaded "attribute changer" https://www.petges.lu/download/ to manually change folder modify dates and Subsonic picks them up again.

Not sure why this all of a sudden started happening and still not sure why my Subsonic scans are taking several hours instead of 15 minutes.
tmwsiy

Postby featherstonehaugh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:35 pm

I considered that for my case, but Subsonic also does not pick up new music by new artists, in new folders. (Plus a Mac user reported the same issue above.)
featherstonehaugh

Postby thenoiser » Sun May 13, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Everyone
unfortunately, I have a similar issue here on Ubuntu 16.10 with Subsonic 6.1.3 (build e408c9) – October 31, 2017
I have a hard disk attached to the system, I am using it to play my music and stream online, no problem. When I used Subsonic it doesn't load the music at all despite all the scanning I've done, restart of subsonic, rebuild and so on...
it does sound like a subsonic issue...
if any ideas, please tell us.
cheers
thenoiser

Postby toolman » Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi.
I guess you followed the guidelines on http://www.subsonic.org/pages/installation.jsp#debian INCLUDING setting the right permissions for the user that's running the Subsonic process on your server?
If you failed to configure that part correctly Subsonic WILL NOT find any music. No matter if your hard disk is attached through USB, E-sata or if your media is on a NAS.
toolman

Postby insleys » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:32 am

I have this problem too. I've already tried restoring an old backup of my db from months ago (before I updated to 6.1.3) and that didn't help. I also restored to the db backup from just AFTER the 6.1.3 update and still no joy.

This is driving me insane. Subsonic is getting a bit broken and development seems to have slowed right down, which is frustrating. A music player that doesn't ever find new music is kinda useless.

One thing I have worked out is if you:
- create a new media folder pointing at the ARTIST folder of your new music then rescan, the album is found.
- delete the new folder and it disappears
- rescan without the new folder, the album now appears again!

From using the db.view and running some SQL, I can see that the new artist initially gets a different folder_id (non-zero) but after the final step, it reverts to zero and all is well.

I don't have any permissions issues. Nothing has changed since this worked (and yes, I've double checked).

I even installed a fresh copy of subsonic and db to test with and after the initial scan, new artists were once again never discovered.

I'm running Windows Server 2012R2 and Java 1.8.181 (although I only just updated from .45 - oops!)

Steve.
insleys

Postby insleys » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:29 pm

FURTHER UPDATE:

I've opened a ticket here: https://sourceforge.net/p/subsonic/bugs/222/ but Sindre doesn't seem active on Sourceforge any more.

Details from the ticket:

Weird behaviour on 6.1.3 of late. When I add new music to an existing album (e.g. one that I'm creating and adding new tracks for mix testing) they show up immediately. However, if I add a new artist/album, they do not, even after using "scan media folders now".

The only way I can get new music to add now is by disabling then deleting the music folder entry in "settings" -> "media folders", scanning, then re-adding the folder and scanning again. Nothing else seems to work.

I have restored an old version of my DB from a time when I know everything worked, but the problem persists.

Extra info:
- Running 6.1.3
- Premium licence
- Windows Server 2012R2 - up to date with all updates

To elaborate after some additional testing, another use case is:

I have a new album for a new artist for which I have no other albums
- I add a new folder at the root of my music folder for the artist and a sub-folder for the album that contains the tracks. Scanning does not update the library with the new album
- I add a new folder for the new artist's album into an EXISTING folder for a different artist. Scanning correctly picks up the new album and correct artist name, despite it being in the wrong folder. Yay tagging.
- I move the folder after it has been detected into a new artist folder, rescan, the album disappears.

I think with multiple tests in different scenarios I have proved conclusively that Subsonic no longer detects new folders sitting at the root of the music library folder. No amount of "touching" to update create/update/accesssed dates forces SS to detect it.

FURTHER UPDATE:

If I manually add an entry into the MEDIA_FILE table in the database through the db.view page using (my specific case example):

insert into media_file values (46015, 'R:\Media\Music\Perturbator', 'R:\Media\Music', 'DIRECTORY', null, null, null, 'Perturbator', null, null, null, null, null, null, false, null, null, null, null, null, 'R:\Media\Music', 0, null, null, 0,0,0,0, true, 5)

...and then re-scan the library, the album that exists in that folder now shows up!!

I think the (potential) bug here is simply that new folders in root music folder are not detected in the scan.
insleys

Previous

Return to Help